Former Police staff could be owed back-pay says UNISON

Scores of former police staff employed by Hampshire Constabulary and Sussex Police who left their police force after September 2017 could be owed hundreds of pounds in back pay under an agreement negotiated by UNISON.

The issue potentially affects former police staff working across Hampshire, Isle of Wight, East Sussex and West Sussex  and relates to Police staff that left employment after 1st September 2017 who may be entitled to back-pay following the implementation of the Police Staff Council pay award negotiated by UNISON. The pay and award agreement included a 1% un-consolidated payment to police staff employed after 2nd September 2017 and crucially those that have left their forces since are entitled to the payment up to their date of termination.  There is potential for the payment to affect pension benefits of retired staff.

UNISON South East Regional Organiser James Smith said:

“We strongly urge any former police staff employee to contact their former employer and claim the money that they are owed. It is a shame that employers are not actively seeking out those that may be owed money however UNISON wants to ensure that ex-staff are aware they could be owed payments from their former employer. Our Police and Justice branches are providing guidance to current and former UNISON members who wish to claim the monies due to them”.


Notes to the Editor:

  1. The 1% non-consolidated payment which is part of the 2017 Police Staff Council pay offer will be paid, subject to tax, national insurance and pension deductions; To all police staff in post on 1 September 2017 whose terms and conditions are covered by the Police Staff Council, including permanent and temporary staff.
  2. Those not eligible for the payment are staff who left their force before 1 September 2017 or staff who started work for their force on 2 September 2017, or later.
  3. When raising the matter claimants are encouraged to provide their name, Force ID number or Sap reference number, National Insurance number, date of birth and home address to their employer’s payroll provider, ensuring they have current bank details on record. Retired staff are advised to also contact their pension provider to inform them of receipt of the payment.

Media contacts
Ryan Slaughter T: 0148 340 6511 M: 07903 855570 E:
James Smith T: 0238 024 9104 M: 07944 171579  E: