UNISON has been made aware that some schools have been closed as a precaution due to potential risk of exposure to Covid-19, commonly known as Coronavirus.
In some instances school cleaners were subsequently instructed to do a deep-clean of the schools.
UNISON branches and regions have rightly intervened to stop our members being put at potential risk.
Our advice to UNISON branches where members are put in a similar situation elsewhere is to contact the school and insist they do the following:
- Conduct a full risk assessment for the deep clean
- Contact their Local Health Protection Team for advice and support: www.gov.uk/health-protection-team
- Ensure only those fully trained and equipped with the relevant protective equipment are involved in any deep clean. A specialist cleaning team my have to be established.
- Provide the correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) including appropriate face masks for those responsible for cleaning the school.
- Notify all staff of what is happening and keep them updated on any developments.
The Department for Education has issued advice to schools and UNISON at a national level has made contact with department officials to express the above concerns.