West Berkshire Council members switch to direct debit

If you are employed by West Berkshire Council and pay for your UNISON subscription through a salary deduction, as shown on your payslips, you will need to switch to paying by a Direct Debit to remain a UNISON member.

This will be a regular payment from your bank account, and the amount you pay remains the same based on your salary.

All you need to do is log in to our secure website, My UNISON, and complete a Direct Debit bank instruction.

Set up a Direct Debit on My UNISON

Once you’ve set up your Direct Debit, you won’t have to worry about how your UNISON subscriptions get paid. You will remain a UNISON member, and we will carry on supporting you at work.

If you’ve not used My UNISON before, you will first need to register.

Head over to My UNISON and select ‘register now’ to get started. You will need your membership number, which can be found on your membership card, or on most emails sent to you by UNISON.

Set up a Direct Debit on My UNISON

Alternatively, you can call our helpline UNISONDirect on 0800 0 857 857 to set up your Direct Debit or ask any further questions.