11 – 15 December 2023
This course is aimed at newly elected and less experienced UNISON stewards. This course will help you to understand the steward’s role in organising members at local level and help you to feel confident in carrying out your duties as a steward.
The course will help you:
- Understand the role of an organising union in public services
- Recognise the importance of equalities in UNISON
- Work with members to tackle issues in the workplace
- Work with members in resolving cases
- Know where and when to seek advice and guidance
- Understand how procedures work in practice
- Handle grievance and disciplinary and similar types of cases as the representative of UNISON members within your workplace
- Become certified as competent to accompany members at a disciplinary and grievance hearing in line with Employment Relations Act 1999
- Understand the broader roles in which UNISON operates, including internationally.
The course is a combination of fixed tutorial times and independent flexible working. There are a number of other criteria which you must be able to commit to before embarking on the course and these are listed below.
You will need:
- A computer or tablet on which you can access Microsoft Teams
- Permission from your employer if you are using their IT equipment
- Agreed Facility Time (time off) from your employer. If you need any help with this, then please speak to your branch.
- To be able to commit to attending seminars on the dates below
- There will also be time slots for 1:1 sessions with the tutor which will be available in the weeks without a tutorial. This will be discussed at the beginning of the course. As well as the tutor support, you will be assigned a mentor to help with questions.
- Course related resources will be available electronically.
11 December 10am – 3pm
12 December 10am – 3pm
13 December 10am – 3pm
14 December 10am – 3pm
15 December 10am – 3pm
If you would like to attend this course, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your membership number and course code 08-23-0061. Spaces are limited so apply as soon as you can.