20 – 24 November 2023
Please Note: due to changes with the Guildford office this course will now be delivered online.
This course is aimed at newly elected and less experienced UNISON stewards. This course will help you to understand the steward’s role in organising members at local level and help you to feel confident in carrying out your duties as a steward.
The course will help you:
- Understand the role of an organising union in public services
- Recognise the importance of equalities in UNISON
- Work with members to tackle issues in the workplace
- Work with members in resolving cases
- Know where and when to seek advice and guidance
- Understand how procedures work in practice
- Handle grievance and disciplinary and similar types of cases as the representative of UNISON members within your workplace
- Become certified as competent to accompany members at a disciplinary and grievance hearing in line with Employment Relations Act 1999
- Understand the broader roles in which UNISON operates, including internationally.
Tutorials for this course will run from 9:30am to 4:30pm on each day, totalling 30 hours of tuition.
All classroom based courses are subject to Branch approval and a £25.00 per day fee.