The NHS is 69 years old this week, but with a number of threats – budget cuts, increasing numbers of clinical vacancies, and privatisation – the NHS as we know it is in danger of not making it to 70.
By far the biggest threat to our NHS are Sustainability and Transformation Plans (STPs). Find out more about UNISON’s STP campaign.
Events around the region:
- 1 July: Oxford Health held a ‘Birthday Tea Party’ on the Lawn outside East Oxford Health Centre
- 3 July: Eastbourne District General Hospital
- 4 July: Millview Hospital
- 4 July: St Richards Hospital, celebrating with cake from 10am-2pm (outside the Spice of Life restaurant).
- 4 July (evening): birthday party event with music and speeches organised by the Save the NHS group on the Isle of Wight and sponsored by UNISON. (Details TBC)
- 5 July: Princess Royal Hospital
- 5 July: 12.30pm – Kent and Canterbury Hospital: (grass triangle outside the main entrance weather permitting) NHS birthday party with a large cake which being given away to staff and public in the hospital.
- 7 July: Worthing Hospital, celbrating with cake from 8am-2pm (penguin foyer).
- 7 July: Chichester District Council
- 14 July: 9.30am Lobby of Surrey County Council Adults and Health Select Committee. County Hall, Penrhyn Road, Kingston Upon Thames, KT1 2DN.
- Details TBC: Milton Keynes Health Branch is teaming up with the other unions to hold a joint NHS birthday event.