The Regional Convenor Team and Regional Secretary continue to express dismay over the Government’s handling of the pandemic and deep concerns over the sharp rise in cases across the UK. The region’s priorities remain to protect the health and wellbeing of our members, their colleagues and families, and to support members working on the front-line of this global pandemic. We continue to monitor the situation regularly to consider what impact it is and will have on our regional activities. We have agreed that the following will apply until the end of February 2021:
- All physical meetings and events are cancelled until the end of February 2021
- A Regional Council meeting will be held by video conference on 24 November 2020
- Planning is in place to hold the 2021 Regional Council AGM as an online meeting
- All meetings taking place during this time will be by video conference
- A process has been agreed for Chairs to request any other meeting to deal with Covid-19 related issues – or other urgent items.
- Committee Secretaries and Chairs will continue to work closely during this time to facilitate any urgent decision making by following the Regional protocol on delegated decisions.
- All face-to-face regional activist education and member learning courses have also been suspended until 31 March 2021. However, we have and will continue to increase the number of online courses.
- The BIG Weekend event, previously postponed to the autumn, will be rescheduled for May 2021.
We will continue to be vigilant in our support of members and activists during these uncertain times. UNISON’s advice for negotiating with employers is continuously updated. If you have concerns about the measures your employer is taking to keep staff safe, please raise these with your branch and your Branch’s Organiser or visit our national website at www.unison.org.uk.
Mark Chiverton, Rosita Ellis & Billie Reynolds
Regional Convenor, Deputy Regional Convenors